Number of episodes of care for mood disorders discharged between April 1 and March 1 of the fiscal year
1. A mood disorder is coded as most responsible diagnosis (MRDx)
– For diagnosis codes for mood disorders, please refer to the Diagnosis codes tab in the HMHDB 2017–2018 Data Dictionary.
2. Discharge is between April 1 and March 1 of the following year (period of case selection ends on March 1 to allow for 30 days of follow-up)
3. Sex is recorded as male or female
4. Admission is to a general or psychiatric hospital (Facility Type Code = 1, 5)
HMHDB: Hospital Mental Health Database.
1. Records with an invalid health card number
2. Records with an invalid code for province issuing health card number
3. Records with an invalid admission date
4. Records with an invalid discharge date
5. Discharges as deaths (Discharge Disposition Code = 07 for DAD or NACRS records; Discharge Reason Code = 2 or 3 for OMHRS)
6. Cadaveric donor or stillbirth records (Admission Category Code = R or S)
7. Records that are dead on arrival (Discharge Disposition = 11 for NACRS)
DAD: Discharge Abstract Database.
NACRS: National Ambulatory Care Reporting System.
OMHRS: Ontario Mental Health Reporting System.