Total number of discharges for a self-injury harm hospitalizations for patients age 15 10 and older
1. Self-injury is identified by the following external cause of injury codes with a diagnosis type of 9: Admission to hospital with self-harm diagnosis (diagnosis type 9, ICD-10-CA codes X60 to X84
1. Cases of self-injury involving outpatient treatment in hospital emergency departments or other medical facilities or completed suicide prior to hospital admission
2. Patients who were institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital and were self-injured during their stay but did not require admission to a general hospital
3. ) for those age 10 and older, sex recorded as male or female
2. Analytical Institution Type Code = 1 (general hospital) or 5 (psychiatric hospital) from the Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)
3. Ontario Mental Health Reporting System (OMHRS) records for cases where the OMHRS stay was from an initial emergency department (ED) visit for intentional self-harm (X60 to X84 in the National Ambulatory Care Reporting System \[NACRS\]) within 7 days
Additional notes on the inclusions:
- Episode building was performed to accommodate multiple abstracts within a single episode of care.
- At this time, we are unable to determine the rate for those not identified as male or female in the data.
1. Cadaveric donor or stillbirth records (Admission Category Code = R or S)
2. Patients with an indication of medical assistance in dying