The number of hip fracture episodes among patients age 18 and older that were surgically treated in an acute care hospital
1. a. Hip fracture ICD-10-CA codes S72.0, S72.1 or S72.2 as most responsible diagnosis (MRDx), but not also as a diagnosis type (2); or
b. Where another diagnosis is coded as MRDx and also a type (2), and a diagnosis of hip fracture is coded as a diagnosis type (1) or (W), (X), (Y) but not also as a diagnosis type (2); or
c. Where convalescence or rehabilitation ICD-10-CA codes Z50.1, Z50.8, Z50.9, Z54.0, Z54.4, Z54.7, Z54.8 or Z54.9 are coded as MRDx and hip fracture is coded as diagnosis type (1) or (W), (X), (Y) but not also as a diagnosis type (2).
Note: If hip fracture surgery is not performed during the first (initial) hospitalization of the episode of care, criterion 1 (a, b or c above) must be met on both the initial and surgical record if transfer occurred.
2. Criterion 1 (a, b, c) along with a relevant CCI procedure code*:
a. 1.VA.74.^^–Fixation, hip joint
b. 1.VA 53.^^–Implantation of internal device, hip joint
c. 1.VC.74.^^–Fixation, femur
d. 1.SQ.53.^^–Implantation of internal device, pelvis
3. Age at admission: 18 years and older
4. Sex recorded as male or female
5. Admission to an acute care institution (Facility Type Code = 1)
6. Admission category recorded as emergent/urgent (Admission Category Code = U)
*Code may be recorded in any position.
Procedures coded as out of hospital and abandoned after onset (status attribute = A or OOH indicator flag = Y) are excluded.
1. Records with an invalid health card number
2. Records with an invalid code for province issuing health card number
3. Cadaveric donor or stillbirth records (Admission Category Code = R or S)
4. Records with an invalid admission date or time
5. Records with an invalid discharge date or time
6. Records with an invalid procedure date or time