Number of obstetric episodes of care discharged between April 1 and March 1 of the fiscal year
1. Episodes involving inpatient care (Facility Type Code = 1). An episode may start or end in a day surgery setting. Episodes that both start and end in day surgery settings are not included.
2. Presence of at least one inpatient record in the episode with major clinical category (MCC) of Pregnancy and Childbirth (MCC = 13)
3. Discharge between April 1 and March 1 of the following year (period of case selection ends on March 1 of the following year to allow for 30 days of follow-up)
1. Records with an invalid health card number
2. Records with an invalid code for province issuing health card number
3. Records with an unknown age
4. Records with an invalid admission date or time
5. Records with an invalid discharge date or time
6. Episodes with admission category of newborn (Admission Category Code = N)
7. Records with admission category of cadaveric donor or stillbirth (Admission Category Code = R or S)
8. Episodes with discharge as death, self sign-out or patient not returning from a pass (Discharge Disposition Code = 06, 07 or 12)
9. Presence of at least one record in the episode with MCC of Mental Diseases and Disorders (MCC = 17)
10. Presence of at least one record in the episode with palliative care (ICD-10-CA: Z51.5) coded as most responsible diagnosis (MRDx). For Quebec data: Z51.5 coded as MRDx, or cancer (C00–C97) coded as MRDx and Z51.5 coded in any secondary diagnosis field.
For an illustration of denominator selection, please refer to the flowchart in the General Methodology Notes document.